Need a helping hand...?
1. Full developmental edit - this is for you if you are planning to self-publish and want to work with an editor to ensure your project is at a publishable standard; or if you would like to have a professional edit carried out before submitting to agents, publishers, or literary magazines. I'll do a structural-and-line-edit-in-one, looking at the "bigger picture" as well as all the smaller issues - the fine tuning all projects need before their authors hit the publish button. I'll use tracked changes throughout the manuscript and provide structural notes. I charge £10.00 per thousand words. You can "pay as you go" with this service; for instance if you would like me to work on just the first 5000 words initially, we can do this. The service is suitable for novels, novellas, narrative non-fiction, screenplays, short stories, flash and micro fiction. Please note, for very short fiction the minimum charge is £10 per piece.
2. Full manuscript report - this is for you if you are planning to submit your work to agents, publishers, or literary magazines, and want to ensure your work is "submission-ready". I'll write an editorial report, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of your project. This will be a no-holds-barred report; robust, but constructive. I charge £8.00 per thousand words. You can also "pay as you go" with this service; for instance if you would like me to work on just the first 5000 words initially, I can do this. This service is suitable for novels, novellas, narrative non-fiction, screenplays, short stories, flash and micro fiction. Please note, for very short fiction, the minimum charge is £8 per piece.
3. First three chapters/thirty pages/10,000 words, query letter, and synopsis report - This is for you if you don't want a full editorial report but feel you need some idea of your work's readiness for submitting to agents or editors. I'll write an editorial report highlighting what's working and what isn't. This is a fixed cost of £150.00.
4. Synopsis report - The synopsis, so often dreaded, can be tricky... but my belief is that it's easier than you think. Send up to two A4 pages and I'll edit using track changes, and provide editorial notes. What this won't do is "fix" your novel if there are structural issues... but it may help you to see where there are structural issues which you can then work on. This is a fixed cost of £70.00.
5. Pitch report - If you're not quite ready for any of the above, but need some guidance as to whether your story concept is working, send me your "elevator pitch" of up to one A4 page, single spaced, telling me about your story. I'll mark it up using track changes and send you a page or so of notes. This is a fixed cost of £40.00.
6. Online editorial consultation - A read-through of your first chapter/ten pages, a one-hour online consultation (using Zoom) and a follow-up email. This could work for you if you want to ask specific questions (which you can send over with your first chapter/ten pages) and/or if you prefer a face to face chat rather than a written report. You can also send a one-to-two page synopsis, which is particularly helpful if you are seeking advice on structure. This is a fixed cost of £120.00.
How it works:
Get in touch and tell me about your project and which service you would like:
I offer a selective service - so if I feel your work is not yet ready to benefit from editorial input, I'll let you know. This will necessitate complete honesty on my part, so please don't be offended if I decline to work on your MS. I will be able to offer some advice and point you in the direction of further help.
If I think my services would be of benefit to you, and you would like to go ahead, I'll send a pro forma invoice. Once payment has been received I will aim to get the report back to you within one to four weeks, depending on the length of the project and the service you choose. I can also offer a sample edit so you can get an idea of how it will work, with no obligation.
If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them, so please get in touch.
And finally, please click here to see what people say about my services.
I look forward to working with you.