Welcome to the 2022 page 100 competition... my fourth year!
The comp is open for entries until Friday 30 September.
Here's all you need to know:
1. The comp is for unpublished novels and novellas, but please don't enter any project with an overall word count of under 20,000 words.
2. Open to any writer, of any age, from anywhere, writing in English.
3. The important bit: please send your page 100 ONLY. No other pages are required. If your page 100 begins or ends mid-sentence, no problem, leave as is. If your page 100 is at the beginning or end of a chapter and has just a few lines, ie, not a complete page, then send the closest full page to page 100. No need to let me know if this is the case, just send.
There is little point in cramming as many words onto the page as you can for the purposes of this competition. Please send your page 100 as it naturally falls on to the page in your manuscript. Keep it authentic, please. Show me that you have confidence in your work.
If your project is a novella and doesn't quite reach 100 pages, please send page 50 instead. (Bearing in mind rule number 1 above).
4. The fee is £6.50 per entry. You can enter as many as you like, all at £6.50 each. I hope the 50p increase is not a barrier. If it is a barrier I can offer free entries to working-class/low-income writers. Drop me an e-mail at email@example.com and I'll sort that out for you.
5. All entries to be emailed as a Word doc (please, no PDFs) with no identifying info on the entry. I'm sorry but any entries that include names or any other ID will be disqualified and no refunds given. (It happens every year! Please double-check.)
6. You can pay the entry fee at my website bookshop. Please pay first, then enter. Once you have paid you will be given a five-digit order number which you then need to put in your subject header when you send your entry, EG, 11999.
SEND YOUR ENTRY TO firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Closing date is 23:59 Friday 30th September 2022 BST
8. A long list will be announced on this website on or by Monday 14 November 2022
9. A short list of six or thereabouts will be announced on or by Monday 12 December 2022. I will then ask to see the whole of the short-listed manuscripts at this point, to help me choose the right winner for this year's prize...
10. Prizes: This year I've decided to offer a mentorship to the winner. I hope it will be a genuinely useful and encouraging prize. I'll also send a box of LWB books to the winner and two runners-up. The mentorship will last six months, with the dates to be mutually arranged.
I will showcase all the short-listed page 100s here on my website, with the authors' permission, of course. I'll add a brief commentary on each short-listed page to explain why I picked it.
11. All short-listed authors will be contacted with the results on or by Monday 9 January 2023, and the results will be shared on my website and across social media.
I can't wait to read all those page 100s. And I'm even more excited to be a mentor to an amazing writer. Good luck to all!