Welcome to the inaugural LWB Favourite Paragraph writing competition
My inaugural Page 100 competition was a huge success. Many thanks to all who entered. I've had an idea for another writing competition, and again, I hope it's a little bit different. Here's all you need to know:
1. The comp is for unpublished novels and novellas. For the purposes of this comp, published includes any self-published work.
Please don't enter any project with an overall word count of under 20,000 words.
2. Open to any writer, of any age, from anywhere, writing in English.
3. The important bit: please send your favourite paragraph ONLY. No other pages at this stage... That bit in your project you are particularly proud of, the part you feel you wrote particularly well. The bit that has remained intact through several edits, perhaps... The one passage of your writing that you feel represents who you are as a writer. The darling of your darlings!
Don't be tempted to pad it out. Some of the finest writing is brief, and adding extra words could even be detrimental. The fee is low to reflect the likely brevity of many entries.
4. The fee is £6 per entry. I've tried to keep the entry fee as low as possible because, initially, I don't ask to see much!
5. All entries to be emailed as a Word doc with no identifying info on the entry. Once again my intern Billie will do all the administration tasks, including logging and numbering each entry. I'm sorry but any entries that include names or any other ID will be disqualified and no refunds given.
6. You can pay the entry fee HERE at my website bookshop. Please pay first, then enter. You will be given a five digit order number (eg, 10999) which you then need to put in your subject header:
[order number] [Fave para comp] [name of novel]
SEND YOUR ENTRY TO firstname.lastname@example.org
Billie will match up entries and payments... you can buy a comp entry for £5 OR a book-and-comp-entry-combo for £10... so a signed LWB book of your choice and an entry to the comp for a tenner! (Postage is free in the UK)
7. The comp will open to entries on Sunday 1st December and close at 23:59 on Sunday 29th March 2020 GMT... Extended to Sunday 19th April
8. A long list of twenty or thereabouts will be announced on this website on Monday 27th April 2020... now Friday 15th May
9. A short list of six or thereabouts will be announced on Monday 18th May 2020. All short-listed writers will be invited to submit their first three chapters or first 30 pages, whichever is the longer.
10. Prizes: the winner will receive an editorial report of their first three chapters/30 pages of their novel or novella. This will consist of a 2000 word report and a marked up manuscript. (Please see my editorial services page) PLUS a 2020/21 Supporter subscription.
11. Two runners up will receive a 2020/21 Supporter subscription - the subscription consists of four signed LWB books, exclusive newsletters and cover reveals, free entries to any LWB comps, and lots of other nice bookish things. I will also showcase the top three Favourite Paragraphs here on my website, with the author's permission, of course.
12. All long-listed authors will also get brief feedback on their entry.
13.All short-listed authors will be contacted with the results on Monday 15th June 2020 and the results will be shared on my website and across social media.
I hope this all sounds interesting. I can't wait to read all those favourite paragraphs!