KEEP THIS PAGE HIDDEN BUT USE ALL THIS BELOW TO PUT UP ON PAGE 100 PAGE WHEN I OPEN THE COMP AGAIN ON 1ST JUNE 2021!!
I'm delighted to be running my second Page 100 competition. Last year's was such a success and I'm excited about running it again this year.
Here's all you need to know:
1. The comp is for unpublished novels and novellas. Please don't enter any project with an overall word count of under 20,000 words.
2. Open to any writer, of any age, from anywhere, writing in English.
3. The important bit: please send your page 100 ONLY. No other pages at this stage. If your page 100 begins and/or ends mid-sentence, no problem, include those beginnings and endings. If your page 100 is at the end of a chapter and has just a few lines, ie, not a complete page, then send either 99 or 101. No need to let me know if this is the case, just send.
Please use double spacing (or 1.5 f that's what you normally use) and 12pt sized font. Please also use a straight-forward font such as Times New Roman. Bear in mind that there is little point in cramming as many words onto the page as you can for the purposes of this competition. Less is (very often) more so please just send your page 100 as it naturally falls onto the page in your manuscript.
If your project is a novella and doesn't quite reach 100 pages, please send page 50 instead. (Bearing in mind rule number 1 above).
4. The fee is £6 per entry. You can enter as many as you like, all at £6 each. I've tried to keep the entry fee as low as possible to reflect that I only ask to see one page initially.
5. All entries to be emailed as a Word doc with no identifying info on the entry. I'm sorry but any entries that include names or any other ID will be disqualified and no refunds given.
6. You can pay the entry fee at my website bookshop. Please pay first, then enter. You will be given a five-digit order number which you then need to put in your subject header:
Page 100, your name, name of novel, order number [EG, 10999}.
SEND YOUR ENTRY TO email@example.com
7. Closing date is 23:59 Sunday 27th September 2020 BST
**Now extended to Sunday 4th October**
8. A long list will be announced on this website on Monday 26th October 2020.
9. A short list of six or thereabouts will be announced on Monday 9th November 2020. All short-listed writers will be invited to submit their first three chapters or first 30 pages (whichever is the shorter).
10. Prizes: the winner will receive an editorial report of their first three chapters/30 pages of their novel or novella. This will consist of a 2000 word report and a marked up manuscript. Please see my editorial services page for more info about this. The winner will also receive four LWB books of their choice (signed if I have signed copies available).
1. Two runners up will each receive four LWB books of their choice.
I will also showcase the top three page 100s here on my website, with the authors' permission, of course.
12. All long-listed authors will also get a paragraph or two of feedback on their entry.
13.All short-listed authors will be contacted with the results on Monday 7th December 2020, and the results will be shared on my website and across social media.
I hope this all sounds interesting. I can't wait to read all those page 100s...